Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Thursday, February 16, 2006

She's mobile!

The Goose. She's mobile.

No, she's not crawling and she certainly isn't walking (if her almost 8 month old legs could hold up her 23 pounds it would defy all the laws of physics); she is butt walking. What? You don't know what butt walking is? Considering it is a term I coined, I'll explain butt walking. She sits up and ever so slowly- butt cheek by butt cheek- she creeps to her destination. I don't have it captured on film as it would probably take time lapse photography to capture the Goose in action but it is quite deliberate and filled with intent.

Just a couple of days ago I was lying on the floor reading a magazine and the Goose was about 3 feet away from me. She spied the magazine and she wanted the magazine. I could see in her eyes that she wanted the glossy pages. She wanted to touch them, crumple them, squeeze them, gnaw on them.... She watched meticulously as I flipped the pretty pages; drool flowed from her mouth, her arms reached out, and her eyes narrowed and then... then.... then (drum roll please)... she began the March of the Goose. From her sitting position she put her legs in what can only be described as an "S" shape and inched her left butt cheek forward. She paused and then put her legs in an "S" shape in the reverse of the previous "S" and inched her other butt cheek forward. She gained about an inch but it was progress and she kept at it. Sometimes she would forget to reverse her legs and use only one butt cheek to propel her and this would result in a circular formation but she corrected it and continued on with the March of the Goose. It took about 20 minutes (roughly half of one Elle magazine) but she finally reached the pretty, glossy, shiny, edible pages... and I sat up and scooted back another 3 feet. So the March began again.

More often than not she forgets to reverse her legs and gets trapped in the vicious butt walk circle but when she gets things straight, watch out! You only have a good 30-40 minutes to move yourself another couple of feet and buy yourself another 30-40 minutes until the Goose gets you.

Obviously the Goose takes after her mama with her odd means of mobilization seeing as how TWO people mocked the way I walk yesterday. TWO people. They weren't even in cahoots with each other in an attempt to make me self conscious and actually found it quite hysterical when I told the other one what the other one had said on that very same day. They didn't necessarily mock me in a negative fashion but apparently I have a distinct walk. A signature walk if you will. I have my walk and Goose has her butt crawl and it doesn't matter how you got there but whether or not you got there at all.


2 Comments:

Blogger Just Passing By said...

Too cute about the Goose.
You reminded me of that episode of Friends where Joey says "I'm thinking of changing my walk."

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hope you get it on film, all 40 minutes of it!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home