Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Thursday, January 12, 2006

It was a fluke

Grace's 5 hour sleep stretch was a very short-lived milestone. She was up last night at 10:00 pm and I grudgingly left my cozy nest on the couch to settle into the night long side-lying nursing position. Six and half months of sleeping on my side has left my hips sore and my arms numb. I was back to my usual 4 hours of sleep last night.

Her 5 hour strecth had very little to do with The No Cry Sleep Solution and everything to do with God smiling on me for one brief night. Unless the Hoover plug-in has replaced the Pantly pull-out (where the author suggest pulling out the boob and pressing a finger to the chin to get the baby used to sleeping without the boob), the NCSS has only offered valuable tips I am too tired to put in place. The nighttime ritual to get her to fall asleep in the cosleeper involves me vacuuming around the cosleeper for 20 minutes. It coaxes her to sleep and buys me two hours of alone time in the evening (and a very clean bedroom carpet).

I'm back to the drawing board.

Oh, and as far as which twin is which in the below picture? I have no idea. I'm so sleep deprived I'm lucky I can tell Peggy and Sarah apart.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Amanda,

My wife is at wits end trying to get our 6 1/2 month old to sleep through the night .. or at least sleep more than a couple hours at night without waking in a fit until someone comes to rock/stroke her back to sleep.

My wife doesn't have the sanity for the "cry it out method." She noticed the No-Cry Sleep method book and is thinking of getting it. It is worth it?

PS - I found you blog while using www.technorati.com to search for the book title.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Amanda. said...

I think it is worth getting. The author is upfront when she says you going to have to lose a little sleep to put the process into action before gaining some sleep. It is a simple, common sense approach and basically, although the goal is to get the child to sleep through the night without the need for parental sleep associations.

She even says if the family is happy cosleeping/rocking/nursing back to sleep then the family should do what works for them and the child will eventually be able to sleep on their own. It definitely is a no cry approach and the goal is to gradually wean off the bottle/breast/rocking/etc.... so it is not an overnight fix. While I have not been able to put the book into action, the book did give me much needed insight in to infant sleep. I have weaned my daughter off of needing me to fall asleep when she first goes to sleep (sans tears) but I have been unable to do it during the night when she wakes up.

Hope this helps.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home