Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Give thanks

We don't travel on the holidays for several reasons. The main reason being a simple equation:

Traveling with kids + holiday traffic = hell on earth.

But I also don't travel on holidays because for 6 years in college and 3 years after I moved south, I spent the bulk of my holidays behind the wheel of a car and I've pretty much had enough. After Gavin was born, I declared that I was done with the road rage, toll booths, and inclement weather in the Virginia mountains and I was going to make my own family traditions in and around my own home and if my family wanted to be with me, they knew where I lived.

Needless to say, husband and kids aside, I haven't spent a holiday with my family since I declared my holidays travel free. I'm cool with that. I have an adoptive family here in the south: my neighbors. I have spent every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter with them for the past three years and I couldn't ask for better company. Friends, after all, are the family you get to choose.

This year, instead of Thanksgiving at my neighbor's house, we had Thanksgiving at her brother's house and it was fantastic. The food was fabulous, the wine flowed freely, and there was plenty to keep the kids occupied- namely the entire child proof-free home and a pool table. Grace also took a liking to a bowl full of nuts.

It was lovely. Simply lovely.

Child proof free home
Child-proof free home

Would it kill you to smile for a picture with your mama (by the way, note my newly colored hair... I'm thankful for it! Mostly because I did it myself and I'm glad it isn't orange and/or I'm not bald)
Having your picture taken is that hard

Nuts (gotta wait until you're two, baby girl)
Nuts

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Ahhhhhhhhh

She won (and dude will NOT stop bragging)
She's winning

Sweet things
Sweet things

The pilgrims would have wanted it this way
The pilgrims would have wanted it this way




On a much, much more serious note, someone I only briefly knew passed away this week. I still can't wrap my mind around it and the thought that someone I talked to one day being gone the next is not only far too much for me to comprehend, but also entirely too much for me- with my mediocre writing skills- to put into words.

He was only seventeen and the last words he spoke to me were "bless you".

I am blessed.

Hug your loved ones tight.

Labels: , , ,


9 Comments:

Blogger Singlemomma said...

I need to declare the no travel rule. Today...sucked. We always go to the mil's when the mil wants us to and it is NEVER good enough. We are never their long enough, blah, blah, blah. So today we decided. Why are we even bothering.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yeah, we should have stayed home, too. We were stuck in traffic for an hour going to my Aunt's house and then a 4 hour drive back home from my Uncle's. Amber cried for about 2 hours of it.

We are definitely not going anywhere for Christmas. I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing a train table and a 100 piece train set. We are going to stay home and play all day.

Sorry for your loss.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Glad you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Love the photos, especially that first one of the Goose!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm wine.

I love her little dress!

We never travel anywhere. It's GREAT.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Glad you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

I too am anti holiday travel.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Amanda, your pics are always so good. You're whole family is so beautiful.

We're working on making our own holiday traditions, too. We're going "home" for Christmas, which I'm really kind of dreading, but Thanksgiving was on the beach, and planning on New Year's too. No stress - we loved it.

LOVE the chess pic, and the wine glass, of course.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

I love the pictures, lady. And love the hair. We, too, had a family-free, but friend-full holiday due to our declaration that our travel days are over. I feel badly for Jack in some ways, as I have a lot of great holiday memories with my family and extended family, but if they can't get off their butts and come see us, then Jack can learn to love thy neighbor! (oops, sorry for the rant on your blog.) I also had lots of beer and wine these past few days. Good, good!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda. said...

Thanks everyone!

No traveling + lots o' wine = fun fun fun!

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can i remove windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops first software?
I procure recently bought a acquainted with laptop that is old. The person I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, orderly although it instance came with windows Me. I fall short of to expunge the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more thought than the windows Me would. Also I wish to unseat windows xp because it is an proscribed copy. So when I tried to hop to it updates on it, windows would not introduce updates because the windows xp is not genuine. [URL=http://pncoayo.tripod.com]aesthetic laser and vein center[/URL]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers :

It's haler to take one's leave of [URL=http://hahxuvl.tripod.com/irs-gov-medical-expenses.html]irs gov medical expenses[/URL] Windows XP and good upgrade your laptop. It's much better. [URL=http://nuszbaw.tripod.com/viance-1300-mattress.html]viance 1300 mattress[/URL] In addition to, Windows XP is scheme [URL=http://sxxekhs.tripod.com/rebecca-sivard.html]rebecca sivard[/URL] better then Windows Me. Windows Me is d‚mod‚ and multifarious programs that can run with XP, can't [URL=http://qyueaoi.tripod.com/preliminary-report-3407.html]preliminary report 3407[/URL] vamoose with Me.
------------------------------
all you possess to do is addition the windows me disk into the cd drive. then reboot your laptop, when the resentful [URL=http://coabusp.tripod.com/entombment-of-a-machine.html]entombment of a machine[/URL] screen with all the info comes up and when it asks u to boot from cd [URL=http://mnepair.tripod.com/ruptured-bicep-ligement.html]ruptured bicep ligement[/URL] chance any latchkey when it tells you to then instal from there !!! I RECOMEND SINCE ITS AN ILLEAGLE TWIN TO WIPE [URL=http://hahxuvl.tripod.com/irvine-improv.html]irvine improv[/URL] ELSEWHERE THE [URL=http://qyueaoi.tripod.com/pre-formed-building-in-fresno-ca.html]pre formed building in fresno ca[/URL] THOROUGH INSCRUTABLE GOAD WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH UNDENIABLE [URL=http://nuszbaw.tripod.com/vex-robotics.html]vex robotics[/URL] DRIVE TO POSITION IT ON. THEN SUM UP ALL THE UNUSED ARRAY ON THE EMPTY [URL=http://nuszbaw.tripod.com/choctaw-dresses.html]choctaw dresses[/URL] HARD CONSTRAIN ONTO A BRAND-NEW DOCUMENTATION SETTING, IT WILL LOOK LIKE C:/ Raw or something like that

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home