Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Friday, February 09, 2007

I have failed as a mother AND a dietitian

This morning, the kiddos and I were sitting at a red light at an intersection across from where I work when Gavin started yelling "McDonald's! McDonald's!! I see McDonald's!!!" I looked all around and was all "where do you see a McDonald's" because while there is a McD's close to where I work (face it, there is a McD's close to EVERYTHING), it is nowhere near the intersection we were sitting at. Gavin pointed and told me "over there!!" So I looked in the direction he was pointing and there, waaaaay in the distance on the other side of a forest of trees, I could barely see pieces of the bright red, trademark McDonald's roof through the tree limbs. Seriously, the boy was able to assertain that it was in fact a McDonald's by seeing 1/1000th of the roof from practically a half mile away AND with a million trees blocking the view.

Nice. One point McDonald's. Zero points me.

Later in the morning I called the husband to see how thing were going and I could hear Grace in the background screaming "Donald's! Donald's!" I asked the husband if that was what I thought it was and he confirmed that yes, the Goose was begging to go to McDonald's.

Sweet. Two points McDonald's. Zero points me.

Labels: ,


12 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Well, if you let them play in a germ infested maze of tunnels after every meal then they would scream, "Mommy! Mommy!".

I have given in, every Wed (after dance class) we have dinner at the local McD's. I am not a fan of their "food", but boy I do like the sundaes. I have stayed away for a long time, but since we started this little tradition the McD's ice cream machine has been broken. Not at just one in our little area, but both of them. AAAAH!! Get it fix, damnit. Instead, I sit there eat a few fries and watch while Amber and Sam crawl around on the nasty floor known to man.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow my eldest was born with a homing signal for the golden arches. In fact, yesterday as we were searching for a place to stop for lunch, she kept reminding me that "when you see the french fries shaped like an M, that's McDognalds!!!!!"

3:27 PM  
Blogger Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

McDonald's marketing is truly amazing. And they sure like to hook 'em in young. Next thing you know McDonald's will be sending new moms home from the hospital with a *welcome bag* filled with paci's infused with that distinct fryolater smell.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally understand. We eat out NO MORE than once per month. Yet, my 5yo can distinguish between wendy's mcdonalds tacobell and kfc. It's a real gift of hers. And it makes me feel so crappy. I feel like I need to hold up a sign: I cook almost every day, healthy meals from scratch, please believe me! I'm a good mom, I swear!

4:42 PM  
Blogger san said...

They'll get you... even if you try ;)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I took Morgan Spurlock's advice. From the time who could get it, I started pointing to the McD's signs and saying "icky." Guthrie has never been in a McDonald's, and thinks the golden arches will make him sick.

BUT - the ice cream place where we used to live was in the same parking lot as a Blockbuster, and from his car seat you could see the Blockbuster sign, but not the sign for the ice cream place. For the longest time, even after we moved, he would see a sign for Blockbuster and start asking for ice cream.

And, um, he sometimes begs to go to Wal-Mart. That's my shame.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My daughter doesn't know the name of places yet, but she definitely knows that going through a drive through means food. Just over the last couple of weeks she gets all excited and starts kicking her feet and saying yea! What a great mom I am.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Vienna said...

We NEVER go to McDonald's (seriously, I like other fast food better) but Jack knows the Golden Arches. I see him being interviewed on Supersize Me 2 any day now. His crutch is Chick-Fil-A, which I quite like. He likes the play area, I like the super creamy coleslaw and delicious fried chicken nuggets. Mmmmm.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amanda, Gavin is just shoiwng what good advertising does. Tkae a look at the ads on Nick and Cartoon Network. Mcdonalds OWNS the ad time there. My boys did not step foot into McDOnalds til they were 3 and 5. Seriously! And then it was bc we were on a trip to the in-laws and in a part of Georgia where that was your only choice. So they go in ONCE a year. Yet, I can remember too, how Gabe would point and squeel w/ delight passing by the wretched place as though he was a regular.

It's marketing baby!

Curlytop

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my children, the special treat is Burger King. I think they'd go for McDonald's except that I don't usually offer it as an option. ;)

And yes, McD's totally has an amazing advertisement campaign that really gets the kiddos in at a young age.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

wow.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2yr old can spot the golden arches a mile away,I think he can smell the french fries. My 6yr old only wants to go there if he likes the happy meal toy they have at the time. He doesn't even like french fries!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home