Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Friday, February 25, 2005

The Problem with Kids Today

I have had no time for blogging lately. I was so excited to get this site off and running and now I can add this to the list of things I should be doing when I'm curled up on the couch enjoying the only 30 minutes of the day I have to myself before falling asleep. It's not just my fault I'm slacking. It's also Lloyd's fault. See, he made a cake this week and he used 1 1/2 tubs of frosting on it and do you know how hard it is to type when you are eating a cake and 1/2 tub of frosting? I'm still not understanding the whole 1/2 tub of frosting left over bit. Not that I mind but who makes a cake and leaves a 1/2 tub of frosting off it? I don't care if there are 10 tubs of frosting, there is room on a cake for it all. If you have to, throw the cake in the trash (because really, it just gets in the way, doesn't it?) and just make a cake-like mold out of the 10 tubs of frosting but don't leave any frosting over because it just doesn't make sense. Again, I don't mind seeing as how I still consumed a 1/2 tub of frosting solo in three days... I just don't understand.

Gavin is going through a weird phase with sleep. He doesn't want to get in his crib after story time. He wraps his arms and legs around me and presses his head into my shoulder and says softly "no no no no no no no no" and instantly I melt into a puddle on the floor and have no choice but to sit back down into the rocking chair and rock him until he is completely asleep. It is a sweet time but like anything else in our household, there is a "but" and the "but" in this situation is that rocking him to sleep cuts in on the only "me" time I have during the day and by "me" time I mean cake and frosting eating time (see above) and I don't have enough cake and frosting eating time in my life. The G-man is totally worth it but (and here's the other but) not only does Gavin drool like a ... well...... like a me (and I drool a lot), it takes him about 20 minutes to get comfortable enough to actually fall asleep on me. Apparently my bony chest and collarbones do not a pillow make. Nevermind my giant friggin' belly sticking out of the front of me that I try to contour his body around but he ends up in the comfortable sleep position only after he bares the bulk of his body weight on my mid-section. When Grace is born with a flat head we will all know why. So every night during my 30 minute "me" time which has lately become cake and frosting eating time, I am rocking Gavin to sleep while he drools all over me and causes me (and therefore Grace) immense pain and while it is very sweet, I am still missing out on cake and frosting eating time and in making up for that time I have been unable to blog. Do you see the chain of events???

I do love being a mom. Something someone horrible said this week made me realize how much I love being a mom. This week I was told the problem with kids today is that moms are working outside of the home. Hmmmmmmm. Did I mention this was told to me at 12:15 pm on Tuesday while I was enjoying my lunch break and working outside the home? I have never been so angry or so upset or literally felt my blood pressure rise as my heart beat out of my chest. I have never felt so passionate about something or felt like taking a stand. I didn't, though, for numerous reasons.... namely my need for gainful employment. But I wanted to and it felt really good to want to. I went home that evening and lavished all my love and attention on G, as usual, and then that night, while I was in immense pain and soaked in toddler drool on my 38th run-through of "Rock-a-Bye Baby", my baby boy fell into a peaceful slumber on my bony collarbone and I realized something. I had totally just proven that "problems with kids today" theory wrong and as long as I knew it and Gavin knew it, I could eat my cake and frosting happily.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home