Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Not Your Mother's Milk

Officially a hippie?

While I would definitely give a big, fat negative to someone other than me nursing the Goose (unless it was under dire circumstances... and sitting around in a drum circle with my ta-tas hanging out does not count as dire, in my opinion), I did indirectly wet nurse by providing expressed breast milk for a friend's baby and I must admit this article has several good points:

Formula milk has only been available since the early 1900s. Before then wet-nursing would have happened as a matter of course if the mother was ill or absent. In three generations it has become socially unacceptable.

and

All our objections to wet-nursing, says Shaw, are cultural: "The exchange of body fluids between different women and children, and the exposure of intimate bodily parts make some people uncomfortable. The hidden subtext of these debates has to do with perceptions of moral decency. Cultures with breast fetishes tend to conflate the sexual and erotic breast with the functional and lactating breast."

Oh, and "superlative breasts" is my new favorite phrase.

Labels: , , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Great article. Thanks for sharing!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the link to that article. I donated pumped milk to 4 diffrent families while I was still nursing my daughter. I was talking to my mother about it once and she mentioned that women in our family have been wet nurses for generations. It made me feel good that in a way I was keeping on with the family tradition. It is too bad that in our culture wet nursing is not more common, i think allot of families and nursing mothers would benefit from the practice.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Milk banking is super cool, a great alternative to formula.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had my boys, I was blessed w/ milk. I was in Charleston and there was a church member from my parents' church who had a premie in the local hospital. One of their friends asked if I would share. I had no problem with that. but the family did not feel "comfortable." Never found out how the baby did.

It is ashame how little our society values nutrition. We have been brainwashed into believing that what we have done for centuries is not as good as something that comes from a factory. And wetnursing is not even an issue of actually nursing the child. In my case, I could easily pump 12 oz out of one breast!!!! I was fine to pump it and give it to this mother so she could feed and bond with her own child... what a waste for them....For me it came in handy later when as I my son decided that 8 months was enough. I cried and cried but i had enough to supplement him on breast milk til he was 3 wks shy of his first birthday.

How wonderful to read how others have been able to share their blessings with others:)

Curlytop

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home