Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

One more day

Only 24 hours until Grace is 6 months old and I reach my first big breastfeeding goal- exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months. This has not been an easy task considering Grace’s superhuman size and corresponding appetite or the fact I went back to work full time after only 9 weeks and must pump three times a day. I do complain about her constant nursing at night but I have no doubt that her reverse cycling and penchant for milk straight from the tap has allowed us to reach this milestone with no supply issues. While this by no means marks the end of your breastfeeding relationship as I hope to nurse her until she is at least two years old, it does mark the end of exclusive breastfeeding and the beginning meals that involve more than a simple unhooking of the nursing bra and lifting of the shirt.

Why the big brew-hah-hah over 6 months? The AAP revised their recommendations during my pregnancy with Grace to encourage exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 month and there are many benefits to delaying solids until six months or later. Plus, Lloyd said he didn’t think I could do it and proving him wrong is a full-time job in and of itself. I think for me, however, the fact that I was unable to do this for Gavin and I still feel that hurt with every cell in my body is one of my main reason for wanting to make sure I did this for Grace. Well, for Grace and for myself. I didn’t want to feel the pain of not mothering the way that I know in my heart I was meant to mother and I do see breastfeeding as way more than nutrition.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home