Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Monday, March 27, 2006

Hits keep rolling

Gavin had his evaluation with the developmental pediatrician today. Not that we ever saw anyone with MD after their name; the evaluation was performed by a social worker and a nurse. Coincidentally, I used to work with the nurse who performed the eval so I felt a tad but more comfortable flashing her my boobs ten million times, rather than a stranger, while trying to nurse Grace while Grace tried to watch Gavin screaming his head off.

And frickin'-frackin'-son-of-a-motherless-goat, you know they had to bring up the "A" word. For those who don't have a two year old speech delayed boy, the "A" word is autism and my how those in the medical field love to throw it around like candy off a float in a parade. It hurts a hell of a lot worse to get slapped in the face with the word "autism" than with a stale tootsie roll, I can tell you that much. Even though I had prepared myself and I knew they were going to bring it up and I totally knew it was coming, when she asked me if I was "open" to the idea of autism, I felt the tears well up in my eyes and told her yes but I was more "open" to the idea of Gavin being a weird, speech delayed toddler than "autistic". For boys who are speech delayed, the autism diagnosis follows them around like the cloud of dirt behind Pig Pen on the Peanuts.

I swear to God if I actually thought he was autistic I may not get as upset over it but all I want to do is yell "Hello, people, he has half my DNA!! Of course he is weird, screams a lot, and can't talk!! Spend a little time with me and you'll see the apple didn't fall too far from the tree!!!!".


5 Comments:

Blogger K said...

There seems to be a willingness to put lots of kids on the "spectrum", just in case, KWIM? In one way -- this is comforting; so much can be done through early intervention. But it is nonetheless painful. Amanda -- take heart in that you know your boy. You know that he has made emotional connections with you, the hubby, and G2 (well, can we count that under blanket game as a connection ;-) ).

All will be fine.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

My oldest son was severaly speech delayed. Like didn't talk till he was 4(I was dumb, I didn't know that wasn't normal. They thought maybe he had autism and tested and tested and tested. I would have dealt with the diagnosis if he had had it, but it just didn't fit him. Now he's in 2nd grade and only gets speech therapy 2x's a week. It is what is, and I'll be praying for you.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, How stressful! I'm so sorry. I agree w/ K - Take heart that you know your boy. Please keep us posted.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It's a long process and I can only wish you the best of luck working through it. My best to the four of you...

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs woman :(

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home