Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Potatoes have never been so sweet

After a week of trying to get Grace to just taste rice cereal or oatmeal mixed with breastmilk, I hung up the fortified iron cereals and tried sweet potatoes and she LOVED them!! She was grabbing at the spoon and opening wide and seeing as how she has no idea how to eat off a spoon, out came her little tongue and she tried to slurp it off like how she suckles. It was abso-freakin-lutely adorable!! She ate an entire jar of Earth's Best sweet potatoes so today is a red letter day! 40 calories went into my baby that were not provided by my body. There is a slight glimmer of hope that I will not be her sole source of nutrition for the next 18 years.

Don't get me wrong. I am actually enjoying breastfeeding this time around. I go the LLL meetings and wear my purple bracelet with pride but I am ecstatic to be able to meet my baby's nutritional needs with something other than my boobs. I am in no hurry to see her grow up, either, especially considering the fact Lloyd and I have decided that she will be our last baby; but milestones such as the first meal eated from a spoon just make me giddy. It was so sweet to have my boy in his bosster seat eating Barilla pasta and baby carrots and my girl in her high chair eating sweet potatoes from a spoon. Cut me some slack, folks. I'm a pediatric registered dietitian. Of course this kind of stuff makes me high.

Now if only I could get her to sleep (sheepishly hanging her head as Gracie dozes in her swing and sets out for another night sleeping on the family room floor next to the swing)........ Baby steps, right?


4 Comments:

Blogger K said...

De-lurking. Found your blog because you linked to ours! Great news on the sweet taters. Please tell me there are pictures!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Amanda. said...

No pictures, yet. I know! Can you believe it? The digital camera was dead the first night and tonight I was home alone with the kiddos trying to get Gavin not to climb the curtains and kill the dog while trying to feed Grace. Dh and I decided that tomorrow night is our big photo shoot!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! I'm also glad to hear a pediatric registered dietitian skipped the cereals b/c I'm planning on bypassing them myself. I know others who have done it but also know it's not the "norm" so I am still paranoid. She looks so cute w/the sweet taters all over her face. Julian will start on solids as soon as I find out what food trials he is safe w/ (food allergy crap). If he can't handle the food through my breast milk I'm sure he can't handle it directly. Sadly sweet potatoes were one of the failed trials but I'm going to trial them again. I hope he can eat them it looks like fun!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Amanda. said...

Yea, rice cereal isn't the miracle food it is made out to be by some but I like to start out with it because I can play with the consistency and it is a good source of iron. I figure with the way she eats foods she likes, getting some dietary sources of iron in her over the next few months won't be too difficult!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home