Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Memories.... in the corner of my mind....

Back in the summer of 1993- my last lazy summer before heading off to college- MTV picked up one of the best sketch comedy shows EVER. I don't know who out of my friends watched The State first but it wasn't long before we were all completely hooked on it and quoting each and every episode verbatum every chance we got until those around us who didn't have the affinity for The State that we had threatened to kill us if we didn't knock it off. Unlike every other show on MTV, they didn't continue running episodes of The State once it went off the air and since it has been unavailable for purchase or rental, it has remained alive only in our random quotes (you would be surprised how many times over the past 13 years I have been able to work "I'm Doug and I'm outta here", "You dip your balls in it", "The international sign for choking" and "I'm going to the zoo to watch the monkeys do it" into a conversation).

Lloyd has never seen the State so he has had to watch me perform the one woman shows of all the episodes but now, thanks to Nikki G, I found out The State is available on You Tube so he can finally see what all the fuss has been about! I have been watching them over and over and over again and I don't know how they did it, but they are even funnier than they were 13 years ago. Like all things cheesy, The State gets better with age. As corny as it may sound, I do get a little nostalgic watching these episodes. It seems like only yesterday I was a 17 year old girl cruising Edgewood with Nikki and Emily and taking advantage of parents being out of town not by partying but by using the house to stay up all night making our own horror movies, watching The State, and going on 3 am runs to Ghetto Taco Bell. It was a simpler time...

From me to you. My favorite episode-


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home