Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Monday, January 15, 2007

Workin' for the weekend

We had a fabulous weekend thanks in part to the simply divine weather. It was sunny with highs in the upper 60’s and bit on the breezy side. There is something about being able to open the windows and let the sunshine and the clean air in that makes living with two ankle biters who want nothing more than to beat the crap out of each other in between asking for something to eat- something that they will either

a. Throw on the floor thus ensuring the Chihuahua and/or vacuum will have a well balanced meal
b. Chew it up and spit it back out this ensuring the Chihuahua and/or vacuum will have a well balanced meal that requires no chewing
c. All of the above


- more bearable.

On Saturday I took the kids shopping and promised if they didn’t touch anything I would take them to the park. The no touching rule lasted for about a nanosecond before I lowered the ante to if they didn’t break anything we would go to the park. I didn’t want to not go to the park because they couldn’t keep their paws off of all the goods and let’s face it, the park is more for the parent than it is for the kid. I mean, sure the kids have fun and all but the parent gets to let their kids run around like crazy in a kid safe area and bonus! There is no cleaning up afterwards! Plus, if you run ‘em good and hard then not only do you get a little calorie burn, the kids will probably nap better and longer and oh holy day, you might actually get a shower.

It didn’t work for me on Saturday but on Sunday I took them to the park, took them on a walk and we went for ice cream so they were really worn out by the time we got home and I was able to enjoy a hot shower for the first time in 48 hours. It is such a cliché but I swear, I never knew how much I would appreciate a shower after becoming a mom. I really don’t think it is something people who aren’t parents can truly understand- the bliss that is the kid free shower. It's right up there with my thinking it would be a GREAT idea to fortify the nation's food supply with Vitamin Z. Sure, I may have thought it was an ok idea before kids but now? GREAT idea.

Sunday evening I had my neighbor and her kids over for a “playdate”. I hate the term “playdate”. I mean, why don’t we call it what it really is? I had my neighbor and her kids over so my neighbor and I could drink a glass or two of wine and have an adult conversation that did not involve telling the other one to move their penis while the kids ran around and beat the crap out of each other thus ensuring an early bedtime (or so we hoped).

Hmmmm, “playdate” is easier to type. I think I’ll just stick with “playdate”.

Labels: , , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

Oh a shower.....

The running joke with me is that by the time the bathtub is full of water I am ready to get out. I have done all my bathing in the time the water was running. Relax? Did you say something because I do not know that word anymore...

When Davis was little and nursing ALL THE FRICKIN TIME, as soon as I would even attempt to get in the shower, he would scream. And Mark would be at the bathroom door holding that screaming monster and saying, "He must be hungry." Damn kids.

Yes Amanda, a good hot shower is bliss. And likely not something you get nearly as often as you should....

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on the shower thing! Sometimes I realize “ohmygod its been two days since I had a bath!” and if I do sneak one in during the day with her it is not the same enjoyment with little eyes staring at your every move! HAHA

3:20 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

What? You are suppose to wait until they are quiet and content to get a shower. Hell to the No!!

I need a shower everyday or I am not a happy camper. It is better for everyone if I am clean and well-coifed (Which is just mousse and a blowdry). I will admit it doesnt take me long, especially if there is a screaming baby.

Amber learned long ago to play in her room while Mommy is in the shower. Sam is getting the lesson, too, but he is a slow learner.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you said "60 and slightly breezy" I cried just a little, so jealous was I just then. ; )

Glad you had a great weekend!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home