Day 12: What Not To ExpectPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion

Officially a Mom


Putting that Backfield in Motion since 2003

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A new day

It has come to my attention from several people that since joining Flickr’s 365 days, my blog has started to suck the proverbial arse. I take this oh so constructive criticism two ways:

1. As a compliment. If my blog started to suck the proverbial arse when I began 365 days, then that must mean there was a time when my blog DID NOT suck the proverbial arse. Woo Hoo! Go me!

2. I need to preserve some of my creative energy, time, and camera space for the blog.


I must admit that I have fallen deeply and passionately in love with 365 days. There are some amazing people who take the most wonderful photographs and tell the most insightful and intriguing stories. In the blogosphere, I only read and comment on “mommy blogs” or “baby blogs” because, afterall, I am a mommy blogger. I started this blog with the intent of writing about motherhood and the ins and outs of everything from cracked nipples to potty training to speech delays.

I began 365 days with the intent of telling through pictures and writing who I am and that yes, while I am a mom, there is a lot more to me than that. It has been a liberating journey of self discovery thus far. I know, sounds corny that taking daily pictures of myself at an arm’s length could be anything more than narcissism but it’s true. In 365 days, I find myself following the photographic tales of people from all walks of life- everyone from the college student to the mom of seven to the gay couple who just celebrated their first Christmas legally married after being together for 20 some years.

Between Babycenter and blogging, it seems as though for the past three years I have done nothing but pigeon-hole myself into a mother/child-centric world and while that world is equally as fascinating and important, it has been freeing to remind myself of how the rest of the planet lives.

I don’t know why I cornered myself on this blog to being a strictly happy, bubble-gum, and all “gee aren’t my kids so preshussss and isn’t my husband soooo hawt” blog. I’m like mom pop. I’m the musak of the blogosphere. I think for some reason I felt uncomfortable showing anything but the gummy-gummy gumdrop side of the mommy me on this blog…. like I would be doing my children an injustice if I talked about how badly I want to kick their father in the nuts on a space I dedicated to talking about them.

I hope you don’t mind if I try taking this blog in a little bit of a different direction. Bear with me.

Labels: , ,


10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

First, I wouldnt mind at all if your blog went in another direction. I am not sure what that means, but I think you might have to give up your kind blog button. I just want to read more.

Now, I am off to find out more about this 365 Flickr thing. I heard about it through your blog, but wasnt sure what it was all about.

And you know that I follow you where ever you go on the internet, right. No, I am not, ur, stalking you are anything.

Seriously, I love your pictures. Keep it coming.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the pictures. I don't know what the whole 365 days thing was, I assumed it was your goal to post a daily pic of whatever struck your fancy.

I liked the belly button one. It was real, yet sexy (sexy being the little burgandy bow).

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to it. It's been very liberating for me, can't wait to see what comes out on your end.

Ew. Not like that, just read your previous post. :)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl, I'm with ya! I've totally been feeling the exact same things over the past few months. Feeling like I only show one side of me on my blog. The "happy, life is peachy and always fun with baby" side, which, we ALL know as parents, is so not true. I'm in the process of figuring out how the real me will look on a blog that unfortunately has to be censored to some degree because of some people I know who read it. Anyway, I'm loving your shots on 365. You are much braver than me with your honesty!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

See and I started my blog to get whatever the poo came into my mind out. You know. Like out damn spot out.

Now in the interest of not damaging people I have kept hush hush about some things only alluding to them or talking about them in some sort of off way. I keep it that way because while I do need to vent it is a privacy issue for me to some extent.

But for me, my blog is MY BLOG. I put on it what I want for the most part and will continue to do that. Whatever that means I do not know. I think it will become fascinating to see how things changes over the course of the blog experience. And that is why I do it.

Take where you want and need.

4:29 PM  
Blogger karrie said...

When I have the time and energy to blog again, I'm probably going to be less of a mommy blogger too. Although I never flew the kind flag, and I think anyone who read knew I wanted to kick James in the nuts on occasion. :)

9:01 PM  
Blogger san said...

This was a great post, Amanda. I've met you through 365 and definitely saw you as your own person in your pictures first, before I also saw you as a Mom. I think you're doing a great job with your photos... still, I do enjoy your blog and I think, even if this started as a mommy blog, there is nothing wrong with it, if you add a little bit more "something else" to it ;) Keep writing!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as one from the "creative realm" ok I admit it...I am an artist, you have to do what you are led to do. ALL of you out there, hear me?!?

Your blog would cease to be interesting if you stayed in one place. People are creatures of habit and they are entertained by your blog. But you did not start it for us but for yourself. It puts you in a dilemma: do what is comfortable or venture out into the unknown.

You HAVE to venture out bc if not those that complain about your new direction will leave bc it has gotten old... bc you have not grown. It is the constant push and pull of life.

Also, your little ventures are what will enhance your writing...which IMHO is your "gift."

Keep it up Amnada!

(climbs off soapbox)
Blessings,
Curlytop

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went through the same feelings a while back with my breastfeeding blog and started to feel like I was just writing about stuff for the sake of adding a post. Then I decided, hey, it's my blog and I'd rather be writing about things I enjoy writing about. And, guess what - my blog has got more visitors and now I'm really enjoying blogging again. So go for it...

12:42 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Hey I like your photos they rock and your blog hasn't and doesn't suck at all IMO.

I'm sure whatever direction you take it will be grrrrreat!

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home